Becky Smith is in the hopes of publishing her first bible study this summer. The bible study will be a 9-week bible study over the book of Genesis. I got the honor of previewing the first week of it. Also I was able to get an interview with her about the release of her new bible study.
For more information please go to this link: http://learninggodsword.com/
Interview: Becky Smith on Genesis Bible Study June 21, 2013
- Let’s start out with a few questions about the author:
- If you could describe yourself in one sentence what would that be?
A mess, but growing in the grace and knowledge of God.
Thank God He uses the weak! (1 Corinthians 1:27-31; 2 Corinthians 12:9)
- When you were younger what did you want to be when you grew up?
For years I remember that I wanted to be a professional ballerina. Don’t ask me why. I feel sure that is one dream of mine that will never come to pass.
- Will this Bible study be the first writing piece that you have ever published? Yes
- Who are some people that have been sign posts on your journey to publishing your first Bible study?
First and foremost has to be my father, Johnny Wilson. He was a great example and witness to me as a child and even as an adult. He has a wonderful relationship with the Lord. You can tell my father loves the Lord very much and has a desire to learn and study His word.
Dr. J Vernon McGee. Although I have never met him, he feels like my grandfather. He was a very familiar voice in my home as a child, as he is my father’s favorite bible teacher. As an adult, when I wanted to start to really study the bible, I turned to his bible studies. The teaching of Dr. McGee, by the power of the Holy Spirit, gave me understanding into God’s Word that I had never had before. This gave me a hunger for the Word of God that has only increased over the years.
Pastor Dusty Day. Brother Dusty was the pastor of the small church that I attended as a teenager and young adult. The Lord used his sincere love for the Lord and clear and simple teaching/preaching of God’s Word to convict my heart EVERY time I heard him.
Pastor Jim Huffman. Brother Jim Huffman is my current pastor. Brother Jim has been a great source of encouragement for me. It was through the opportunities given to me by him, as pastor of Pottsville First Baptist Church, that I was able to teach an adult Sunday school class. Our class went through the book of Genesis. I used the study notes I made from this class and formatted them into the Genesis nine week study.
- Will you be writing more bible studies? Yes, I hope so. I have already started writing a study to go through the book of Exodus.
- What do you hope that this Bible study accomplishes? I hope that someone reads it and the Holy Spirit uses it to teach His Word.
- · What are some practical ways that pastors and other church leaders might use this bible study? I believe God can use the truths and life applications learned from this study and expand on them or incorporate them into any lesson or sermon.
- There have been several commentaries on the book of Genesis how is this project different? That is a good question. This bible study is simply what the Lord has taught me through the study of His Word. I tried to format it for a minimal amount of time each day, and yet at the end of the allotted time, the reader will have studied a large portion of scripture.
- Starting in the book of Genesis we see most of the stories we learned as a kid growing up in Sunday school. You say in your introduction “We can see Christ in everyone that we have mentioned.” Why is it important to look for Christ in all the books of the Bible?
I LOVE this question. The Bible is God’s Word to man, it is what He wants us to know. The stories are true history, but they are much more than that. There is so much we can learn about the person of Jesus Christ in each page of scripture. The Bible is a Him book, it is all about Him. If you read the Bible and miss the person of Jesus Christ, you’ve missed everything!
Check out her Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/learninggodsword?fref=ts
Check out her ministry blog here: http://learninggodsword.com/